Monday, March 4, 2013

Millie and Gertie become big girls

I gave up my chickens yesterday.  I don't have any pictures or video; I was too sad and too preoccupied with making sure they were okay to document it.

They are living with 6 other chickens in a very nice and spacious coop now.  My girls are so tiny in comparison to the other hens (about half their size...and half their age).  Gertie was getting picked on by the alpha hen almost immediately.  Millie and Gertie were scared and wanted to flee.  I tried to comfort them, but they're just not brave enough to stand up for themselves yet.  Gertie was so scared, I picked her up to comfort her and when I went to put her back down, she didn't want to go.  She scurried up my arm and up onto the back of my neck and didn't want to leave.  It was so sad seeing her so frightened.

I know they are going to be okay, but when they looked at me with sad little faces that said, "Why are you doing this to me?" my heart just broke.  I miss them.  I hope they take care of each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment